Choosing the best aftershave is a very subjective process. As it should be since it’s your skin! You want the natural oils in your skin to blend with your aftershave and you want the scent to match what makes you feel confident. We’ve looked at choices that will satisfy both your skin’s needs and your personal style. Our review of the best aftershave brands should give you a very good idea of what will work best for you.
- 1 Aftershave FAQ
- 2 How We Reviewed the Best Aftershaves
- 3 Overall Price Range of This Product (and Similar Products)
- 4 What We Reviewed
- 5 Comparison Table
- 5.1 Lather and Wood After-shave Balm, Sandalwood Scent
- 5.2 Jack Black Post Shave Cooling Gel
- 5.3 Lucky Tiger Post-Shave Tonic
- 5.4 Lab Series 3-in-1 Post Shave Remedy
- 5.5 L'Eau De Issey By Issey Miyake For Men
- 5.6 Tend Skin Solution
- 5.7 Nivea Shave Balm
- 5.8 Proraso Aftershave Lotion, Refreshing and Toning
- 5.9 Old Spice Classic Scent After Shave
- 5.10 The Art of Shaving After Shave Balm
- 6 The Verdict
1. What Is Aftershave?
For most men shaving is a necessity. And for some, aftershave seems like a luxury or a novelty. Aftershave can certainly be luxurious to some, but more men are seeing it as a necessity. Why shouldn’t you have the best aftershave as an enjoyable part of daily grooming routine?
While there’s a much wider array of options and the benefits of various aftershaves than in the past, you still might want to satisfy the needs traditional aftershaves were created to overcome. Aftershave was originally intended as an alcohol-based antiseptic used for disinfecting cuts from shaving. In addition to being an astringent and an aid to reduce skin irritation, aftershaves on the market aimed to improve your shaving experience.
Since alcohol-based aftershave will have an immediate stinging sensation, alcohol-free options have gained popularity. Some reputable brands encourage you to use their aftershave as if it were cologne since they’re creating fragrances that are so attractive. Aftershaves may use fragrances or essential oils to enhance their scent. There are a great many products from which to choose, from multitasking gels to balms, liquids that hydrate, and mixtures that exfoliate and refresh your skin.
2. What Does Aftershave Do?
The act of shaving probably irritates your skin, and may cause bumps, redness or cuts. You definitely don’t want your aftershave to add stinging and burning, creating more discomfort for you. The best aftershave will soothe, protect, maintain your skin's smoothness, and help repair damage.
You can look for an aftershave with skin soothers like Aloe vera and chamomile. Some aftershaves provide botanicals such as lavender that fights bacteria, and chamomile that calms irritation. Aftershaves can also contain moisturizers to replenish dry skin.
3. How Does Aftershave Work?
Primarily, aftershaves sooth irritation with an astringent, and prevent infection with an antiseptic. Some brands offer moisturizers and many contain fragrances.
4. Where Can You Buy it?
Aftershaves are readily available from drug stores, department stores, boutiques, and online due to their rising popularity. We've provided links to online vendors through Amazon where you can purchase your brand of choice. Have a look at our list and see which of these products appeal to you most.
How We Reviewed the Best Aftershaves
It was a great deal of work, but we're happy to have poured over the good many aftershaves available. We looked over the features of each, pros and cons, prices, availability and scents. In the end, we chose only the most select ten, the best aftershaves we wanted to present to you for your discerning preference.
Coming from grooming experts to dermatologists and probably your uncle too, recommendations for the best aftershave abound. Whether you take their advice, or you sift through the many brands and formulas yourself looking for the best aftershave, it will always come down to what is best for your skin type, your individual needs and your preferences. Whether you’re prone to skin flare-ups or razor bumps, or just want to avoid irritations or rehydrate dry skin, there will be an aftershave that does what you need. That's what this list is about - giving you the information you need to choose the best aftershave for you.
Overall Price Range of This Product (and Similar Products)
The price range for the best aftershave is from a low of $8 to the top at $39. On the lower end of the price spectrum you can get 4.25 fluid ounces of aftershave for $8 from Old Spice, or 8 fluid ounces of Lucky Tiger for $12. On the upper end of the price range you'll get only 1.7 fluid ounces of aftershave for $29 from Lab Series or 3.3 fluid ounces for $39 from The Art of Shaving.
What We Reviewed
- Lather and Wood After-shave Balm, Sandalwood Scent
- Jack Black Post Shave Cooling Gel
- Lucky Tiger Post-Shave Tonic
- Lab Series 3-in-1 Post Shave Remedy
- L'Eau De Issey By Issey Miyake For Men
- Tend Skin Solution
- Nivea Shave Balm
- Proraso Aftershave Lotion, Refreshing and Toning
- Old Spice Classic Scent After Shave
- The Art of Shaving After Shave Balm
- CALMS IRRITATION and eliminates razor burn. Lather & Wood aftershave balm gives unsurpassed cooling...
- NON-DRYING FORMULA Moisturizes skin, leaving your freshly shaven face with a smooth healthy glow. Do...
- GOES ON NICE AND SMOOTH. Lather & Woods non-greasy hydrating formula absorbs nicely into the skin,...
Lather and Wood After-shave Balm, Sandalwood Scent is alcohol-free and doesn't sting or burn. This balm will calm and soothe irritated skin with its non-greasy hydrating formula. It's non-comedogenic and absorbs well leaving your skin smooth and silky feeling.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $16 for 2 fluid ounces.
The scent of Sandalwood is warm, pleasant and earthy, and it has some leathery undertones. This aftershave is distinctive, but not overpowering.
- Post shave cooling gel immediately soothes irritated skin, alleviates redness and provides lasting...
- The cooling, non-oily formula prevents flaking and provides lightweight moisturization to skin...
- It is recommended for daily use
Jack Black Post Shave Cooling Gel is an alcohol-free treatment to soothe irritation due to shaving. This aftershave is lightweight and non-oily and leaves your skin feeling refreshed and cooled to give you lasting relief from razor burn. It contains natural ingredients that have anti-inflammatory properties to calm skin and fight bacteria.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $20 for 3.3 fluid ounces.
Since this cooling get contains Aloe, lavender, sage and rosemary, it has a woodsy scent that's slightly floral. It's a mild and pleasant scent with no chemical ingredients.
Lucky Tiger After Shave and Face Tonic softens and hydrates the skin while relieving the itching and swelling of irritated skin. This tonic contains Aloe vera, calendula, chamomile and borage Oil. It aims to cool and repair your skin while rejuvenating the surface of your skin.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $12 for 8 fluid ounces.
It has a pleasant scent that's citrus-like with hints of orange, grapefruit, and chamomile. It's a tonic that's not overbearing and dissipates so that you can complement it with your cologne if you like.
- All our fragrances are 100% originals by their original designers. We do not sell any knockoffs or...
- Packaging for this product may vary from that shown in the image above.
- We offer many great sales and discounts making this fragrance cheaper than at department stores.
Lab Series 3-in-1 Post Shave Remedy provides a gel that delivers triple-action targeted benefits for freshly shaved skin. It soothes irritation to help reduce the appearance of redness. It exfoliates skin for smooth, soft texture, and it refines beard hair over time to delay the appearance of your five o’clock shadow.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $29 for 1.7 fluid ounces.
This aftershave has a pleasant scent containing saw palmetto, peppermint and chestnut. The smell is minimal and not over-powering.
- It help restore skin balance and inhibit inflammation
- Light, non oily and alcohol free lotion soothes fragile skin and rehydrates that beard
- Instantly soothe razor burn
L'Eau De Issey By Issey Miya is a formula that will help restore skin balance and inhibit inflammation. It's an alcohol-free lotion for soothing fragile skin and rehydrating your beard.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $31 for 3.3 fluid ounces.
Starts off with a fresh citrus scent then adds some hints of spices with base notes that smell woody. It's a pleasant, strong scent.
- AFTER SHAVE: Shaving can cause redness, razor burns & bumps; using Tend Skin Solution as an after...
- INGROWN HAIR SOLUTION: Applying a thin coat of Tend Skin Solution post shaving & waxing reduces the...
- POST WAXING: Apply Tend Skin Solution after the session to minimize the appearance of any redness of...
Tend Skin Solution aims to reduce ingrown hairs without tweezing and minimizes razor bumps & redness after shaving and waxing. Promotion of it's formula comes across more as a skin treatment than an aftershave.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $21 for 8 fluid ounces.
This product may smell strongly of alcohol. There's no additional fragrance to it.
- Instantly calms and soothes skin irritations from shaving
- Leaves a comfortable cooling sensation after shaving
- Formulated with no drying alcohol
Nivea Shave Balm will calm and soothe your skin of irritations from shaving. Its formula contains no drying alcohol and leaves a comfortable cooling sensation.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $16 for three 3.3 fluid ounce packs. (pack of 3)
It's a light fragrance and contains chamomile extract. Additional fragrances aren't listed in the ingredients.
Proraso After Shave Lotion, Refreshing and Toning formula will cool and refresh as it tones your skin. It includes the many benefits of witch hazel to reduce inflammation and promote skin healing. It contains eucalyptus essential oil to help purify your skin.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $14 for 3.4 fluid ounces.
With eucalyptus and menthol it's a refreshing, invigorating scent. It's formulated to not be overpowering.
Old Spice Classic Scent proclaims an unmistakably masculine scent. Its formula is cool, crisp and clean for your skin. Many of us gravitate to Old Spice for the manly scent we want to project.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $8 for 4.25 fluid ounces.
Has its traditional scent of citrus and clove scents.
- Unscented Hypoallergenic After-Shave Balm
- Soothes, refreshes and regenerates the skin after shaving
- Antiseptic, Dermatologist tested, oil- and alcohol-free After-Shave Balm
The Art of Shaving After Shave Balm refreshes and hydrates to soothe your skin. It replenishes moisture to soothe dry skin as it revitalizes your skin.
This product can be found on Amazon for around $39 for 3.3 fluid ounces.
This product is unscented, but it also comes in Sandalwood scented.
There are outstanding ways to project your image, and one of those includes your choice of the best aftershave. Modern men aren't into the "I can take it, let it ride" kind of yesterday's manliness, but are way more sophisticated and sensible, which is one of the reasons aftershave has gained in popularity in recent years. What could be a better way to protect and soothe your face while at the same time add your distinctive scent? That's logical, and logic is cool. For an affordable option that provides you with a refreshing alcohol-free, earthy feel you can try Lather and Wood After-shave Balm, Sandalwood Scent or the traditional Old Spice. If you really want to take your aftershave to the next level, then try Lab Series 3-in-1 Post Shave Remedy or The Art of Shaving After Shave Balm. Invigorate your skin for a look that's fully defined and confident!